Where the people are nicer...
Pssst, hey you! Yeah, you with the face! You better log in or register before Shizuo decides to throw a vending machine at YOU for a change!
Pssst, hey you! Yeah, you with the face! You better log in or register before Shizuo decides to throw a vending machine at YOU for a change!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Durarara!! Roleplay Forum. This is a place where mature, literate roleplayers can gather and have fun~

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» House Hunting [OPEN]
Use Plot Outlines I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 10:16 pm by ViolentLlama

» Ask Masaomi Kida!
Use Plot Outlines I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 4:41 pm by ViolentLlama

» Psychics...ugh!
Use Plot Outlines I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 10:35 pm by ViolentLlama

» Dani's OCs
Use Plot Outlines I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 7:21 pm by Seliphra

» Bodyguard [Psyche, V-138 & Tsugaru]
Use Plot Outlines I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 11:11 pm by Nishikigoi

» Gathering Pride [Masaomi, Izaya]
Use Plot Outlines I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:20 pm by Lyss

» Ts-Tsukishima h-here!
Use Plot Outlines I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 6:10 pm by Seliphra

» Home Invaders [Izaya, Mairu & Kururi]
Use Plot Outlines I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 5:18 pm by ViolentLlama

» A new meeting [Tsukishima and Roppi]
Use Plot Outlines I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 2:20 am by Juu

Poll
Would You Rather...?
Always get away with lying?
Use Plot Outlines I_vote_lcap33%Use Plot Outlines I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
Always know when others are lying?
Use Plot Outlines I_vote_lcap67%Use Plot Outlines I_vote_rcap
 67% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 9
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Use Plot Outlines

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DaniCojo

DaniCojo

Use Plot Outlines Empty
PostSubject: Use Plot Outlines   Use Plot Outlines I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 8:52 pm

As a writer, I've learned that some of my stories crash and burn, while others soar to be somewhat decent work. Although recently I've discovered why some of my stories just don't make it, and the other grow into giant beasts of literary work. The key is a plot outline.

Now before you panic, outlines are actually really simple! And they don't have to be very detailed. For example, here is a small snippet of my outline from when I was writing "Your Last Breath".

Spoiler:

As you can see, it's complete nonsense. Some if it just doesn't make sense. It's jumbled and broken and some sentences aren't even complete. I even have "quotes" or phrases that I want to remind myself to put into the story. However, when I skim it, I know exactly what I'm "trying" to say in that mess of words, which helps guide me to write the story.

Here is another example of an even shorter and less "detailed" plot outline. This is my current plot outline for my original fic, "Chutes and Ladders". This one is even worse and even more ridiculous.

Spoiler:

As you can see, the amount of detail in a plot outline doesn't necessarily matter. Use as much as you need to remind yourself of what you wanted to write later on. I have a decent memory, so I can get away with quick jotted down notes. Others may need very detailed paragraphs explaining each point.

Some outlines are long (my YLB outline was TEN PAGES!!), while others are shorter (C&L is about four pages max).

All of my failure stories had no solid end, and no real plot outline. I had nothing to guide me, so I ended up just writing a day by day story, and no one likes those.which just makes it long and boring. Having a plot outline saved me a lot of time trying to think of where to take the story next, and helped me remember some things I might have forgotten along the way.

Also, having a plot outline helps you remember details you might have already written that you could forget about! In YLB, there were so many little things I wanted to eventually touch back on, such as the Psyche/Tsugaru thing, or the medication, or the "fear" concept. Having my outline allowed me to look back and make sure I touched back on base. I was able to tie up all loose ends and fix any plot holes that might have appeared while writing.

In conclusion, I suggest having the entire plot of your story (yes, the ENTIRE THING) in a quick outline like this from start to finish. It doesn't have to be long and detailed or short and to the point. You can do it chapter by chapter, plot idea by plot idea, or whatever works for you! The idea is to have a solid concept of where you want your story to go, and to help remind you of details you want to touch back on, or remind you of ideas you might have forgotten.

I hope this tip helps all of you aspiring authors to create a wonderful work of fiction!

Back to top Go down
http://www.danicojo.tumblr.com

Use Plot Outlines
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Where the people are nicer... :: Miscellaneous Fun and Games :: Tips and Techniques :: Author Tips-
Jump to: